Is it a universal thing that everyone who looks back on old journal entries, whether written in a little locked book or published for the world to see, kind of cringes at times?
Or is that just me?
memememememememememememememememeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I guess that's what a journal is about, the person writing it, but man... whenever I go back and read anything around my birthday, there is massive cringing and I feel the need, in this published-for-the-world journal, to explain a little bit.
I DO get really memememe around my birthday and it's something that's been going on for a while. Since my 16th birthday as a matter of fact. See, the April 24th that I turned 15 years old fell during a time when my father was sick and I was in my first play in high school, (West Side Story.) He was getting better and should have been getting out of the hospital when things took a sudden turn for the worse and, on April 26th... really suddenly... he died.
The play was opening and I was having my party the next night.
I won't bore you with all the details of what happened but know there was a lot of confusion, a lot of tears and it was way too late to get someone to cover me in the play so I did it. I also had my friends over the next night and tried to do anything but cry. The cake helped but...
Fast forward to a grown woman who still has to fight to feel anything other than the most devastating loss just as she's supposed to be celebrating being. It's a little confusing.
But it is soooooooo much better than it used to be. (Thank you, time and therapy!) Now, I just try to make the time as fun as possible and surround myself with as many wonderful people as I can. This year was especially hard as the 15th was the first anniversary of my friend Matt dying, and March was the loss of all the hopes and dreams I had invested in my relationship.
gone gone gone gone gone
Shit... this is totally going to end up being one of those journal entries I cringe at when I go back to re-read. Ohwell... it is what it is.
One of the really good things about this year's April 26th is that my Mom, Sister and I all got to be together for it! That hasn't happened in a long time and it made this trip extra special for all of us. My Sister and I will try to get together whenever possible and, if we can't, we'll call each other and have a toast to his memory. Dad's favorite drink was a good Gin & Tonic so, at the wedding reception we were at that night, we all ordered one and had a toast to him. I'm still fighting all the loss but we got to have that and I am so grateful.
Still Parenting...
10 years ago


2 comments:
aw, hugs. My mom has been gone since 1997 and I probably miss her now more than then- because as your life goes on, there's more stuff you can't tell them about. You'd think it would get easier (and it does) but it also gets harder.
So much love for you, strong and compassionate friend o' mine! You deserve such love and bliss in abundance - I know your Dad and Matt would be so proud of you. *HUG*
Post a Comment