Monday, May 18, 2009

Sushi Night

This last week, Dahna had a gathering of friends at her Amazing Loft to make sushi together so that in these hard times, we could all enjoy good sushi for around $5 each. We all ended up contributing a little more than that but not much and a whole lot less than going out to a sushi bar.


I was coming from work on the West Side so I stopped at Mitsuwa on Centinela. I was supposed to just get some Yellowtail ($4.29) but couldn't resist the Uni, once I was there ($9.99). They had some nice Nigori Sake at a decent price, too ($14.99) so I grabbed some of that and then there's the Pocky. How can a girl resist Almond Crunch Pocky for $2.99! She can't...


Christine and I were the first ones there and I turned them both to the wonders of Nigori. (Nigori is unfiltered Sake. It's a bit sweeter, milky white and sooooo goooood.) We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, catching up on the happenings of our various lives and slowly prepping for the rest of the group.



Everyone showed up and we got to work, constructing the first round of dinner. My first roll (top left) was pretty sloppy but SO good. As it was our first foray into sushi construction, it was all about putting rolls together and Dahna had done a fantastic job of preparing sauces and perfect sushi rice for our creative efforts.

The second round was even better, with the Uni as a crescendo. If you've never had it, beware! Uni is an acquired taste and many people don't like it. But if you do like it, you usually really like it. (I like it. Really really really.)

It was a wonderful night and hopefully there will be another soon. More than anything, it was wonderful to spend an evening with such good friends.


Kampai!

No comments: