Saturday, May 23, 2009

Shrug Sequel Pattern


It's done and even better than the first.

Thank you, Dayna, for the gorgeous birthday yarn!

Here's the pattern:

Cast On 74 (You're starting at the wrist of the first sleeve)

Join in the round, mark the point of join and knit 5 rows

On the 6th row - K1, K2tog, K to 3 sts before marker, ssk, K1

Repeat decrease every 6th row, 14 times. (Adjust this for your own arm length/width. I have really long arms so you may want to do one or two fewer decreases.)

Continue in the round until sleeve is the length you want it to be from wrist to shoulder. I continued for 50 rows after the last decrease.

Once you get to the sleeve length you want, starting at the marker, instead of continuing in the round, begin purling back. When reaching the end of the row, turn and knit back. Continue back and forth in stockinette stitch until, with the sleeve on your arm, this body piece reaches to the center of your back. Cast off or put stitches on a holder.

Repeat this entire process to create the second sleeve.

Sew or kitchenette stitch the center back pieces together and voila! You have shrug.

For the front, you're going to knit two separate pieces and stitch them onto the front.

For the first, cast on 44 stitches, knit one row, purl one row

On the 3rd row and every K row, K2tog, K across
On the 4th row and every P row, P across to last two stitches and P2tog
You'll knit all the way down to one stitch, creating a long triangle.

For the second, cast on 44 stitches, purl one row, knit one row

On the 3rd row and every P row, P2tog, P across
On the 4th row and every K row, K across to last two stitches and K2tog

Put on the shrug, find the place right behind your underarm where you want the front piece to begin, mark it and attach front piece so that the 44 stitch cast on edge continues that line to be able to wrap around your front. Repeat with the other.

Knit 2 i-cords, attach to front corners, block, and you're done. I've added a crochet border along the bottom but that's a design choice.

Good luck and please let me know if you have any questions!

EDIT: I used almost exactly 3 skeins of Malabrigo Worsted to make this. Each skein is 216 yards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute little Shrug, the Second AND a pattern to boot! I have a lovely little skein of sumpin' I've been waiting to make into the perfect little knit, and I think this might just work. Now to figure out if I actually have enough to finish it!