Thursday, January 15, 2009

Ray... meet Fluffy

So, there have been many adventures in my quest to have a laptop that works, which will continue on Saturday, when I take my computer in to the Apple Store for the fourth... you read that right... fourth time.

The first time, they had it for five days, said it was fixed and when I got it home, it gave me a bunch of error messages beginning with "Hardware Error". I took it back the next morning.

The next time they called, three days later, they had replaced it again and were sure it would be fine now.

As you know I took it in a third time, you can safely guess what happened when I got it home that night.

So, the next morning I take it in and the gods smile on me for a moment by hooking me up with one of their own, Ray. Ray may have seemed like just some computer geek at the Mac Store but underneath that Clark Kent exterior beat the heart of a superhero.

First, he admonished me for not having an external hard drive to back up my information and I took my spanking like a good girl because I knew I deserved it. Then he started going through my system because the next step in this whole back and forth is shipping my beloved off to the central repair center where they'll definitely repair it but they also wipe your hard drive in the process. Yikes. He wanted to try to fix it before it had to go there.

Not only did Ray (the god) find all kinds of weird buggy crap on my hard drive, but thirteen gigs of memory had been taken up by copies of old stuff I thought I had gotten rid of last spring. dude... thirteen GIGS! He fixed it all, got rid of it all and we burned two discs without even a momentary glitch. I was saved... (No, I didn't kiss Ray full on the mouth but I did call him a god to his face and got to watch him blush.)

Cut to...... yuuuuuuuuuuuup. I get it home, burn a disc and halfway through it stops and gives me the same error messages. And then it won't hold a disc at all. I even put movie DVDs in to see if it'll read them and nope.

This evening is devoted to introducing my computer, Fluffy, to her new best friend external hard drive, whom I've named Ray in homage. He may not have fixed it but damn, getting that thirteen gigs out of there earned it for sure. I'm backing everything up and taking her in, for hopefully the last time, on Saturday. She'll most likely need to be shipped off so I won't have her for at least a week. Thank god I'm in the studio all day, everyday, anyway or I'd go nuts.

And speaking of, work is going great! We have a whole new line completed and are going to be photographing it next week to get it up for sale. Trunk show on Feb. 13th & 14th and then off to an event the first weekend of March.

Also... in other news, remember the guy I went to dinner with in Minnesota? Yeah... we're on the phone right now trying to figure out his flight plan. He'll be here next week. heeeeee!

I'll keep iPhone blogging...

3 comments:

kittywhumpus said...

Aside from the computer nonsense, there is a whole lot of Awesome in this post.

mobius/strip said...

I give you a lot of credit. if i had to make that many return trips to the mac store i would have committed an atrocity.

actually, it did happen to me, years ago, (pre-mac store days - yes, that long ago) and it turns out there was a problem with the "processor," a little thing that basically runs the entire computer, something minor like that.

Maybe they can check that, or try a new one, and save you from having to send your laptop away.

Perhaps this time you can give Ray the spanking instead of the other way around and see what happens...

Anonymous said...

Yug. Computer suckage drains the life out of you, doesn't it? The last time my mac died, it was due to a strange glitch that had mac mail downloading a new copy of every single one of my messages... over ten years worth of mail. Shockingly, the drive kept filling and dying.

Thank ye gods for the external drive and the men who run them! ;-)

Hope your little fluffy feels better soon...