Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Intro to my squirrel.

There are a pair of squirrels living in the tree outside my window. I didn't really notice them much until just before I left for Thanksgiving. Who knows... maybe they're recent immigrants. The reason I've taken notice of them now is because they're...... well....... rather bold.

Bold in the sense that they really don't care very much that we're living in their little world and have no issue with hanging out even if we're there, too.

Case in point, I'm just back from Boston and in my bathroom. I hear a noise on my windowsill and am able to get my phone just in time to capture this:


See that little dude right there? And he didn't even move while I took that. Just kept munching away on a... get this... piece of bone. I know this because he dropped it and took off while I got this:



Now this would all be cute but not necessarily blog worthy if it weren't for the next day. The next day in which I'm innocently sitting at my desk, minding my own business when I hear a great thrashing about on the vines outside my living room window. I grab my phone (I knew this was gonna be good) and find.....


You're seeing correctly. This is a squirrel, hanging upside down by his back claws, on my screen. Eating.

And he did that for a while. Just hung there. Until Eva and I couldn't contain ourselves any longer and we burst into a fit of giggles. He took off in disgust.

I say there are a pair because just the other day I was woken up by yet more windowsill action. This time it was real... ahem... action. The kind of action that only a very intimate pair of squirrels will do. Didn't get a picture of that one although you gotta give 'em props for picking my bedroom window for that particular little display.

So now the big question... what do I name them? Little Dude is seeming to stick for the guy. I thought maybe Carnivore or Omnivore because of that weird bone thing, but that creeped me out too much thinking of that living outside my window. So the name must emphasize CUTEness. I also have to figure out how to tell them apart.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'll keep you posted on their squirrely shenanigans. And fingers crossed they have babies!

2 comments:

mobius/strip said...

If you're ever interested in getting them to leave; I'll bring over Sadie, aka "The Squirrel Hunter."

She will do whatever it takes to chase a squirrel. You will not have a window. Or a screen. Or a tree.

Or any squirrels.

Otherwise, I want to see baby squirrel pix!

Unknown said...

Oh.My.God. The cuteness!!! Gah!