OK, so how did I go from getting sick to going to dinner next to famous Englishmen? Garlic baby and looooooooots of it.
While I was writing that blog, I was eating a bowl of angelhair pasta covered in a lovely sauce that I had added practically half a head of freshly crushed garlic to. And as it was just heated up and not cooked for very long, the garlic was still so raw that I swear my tongue was getting chemical burns.
So, after eating that and going to bed early, I was feeling just fine the next morning and was able to keep dinner plans with the lovely Dayna. We had the most fun getting that picture of Mr. Thewlis and she showed me her finished Calorimetry. It looked so awesome! Her first finished product that wasn't a scarf with lots of increases and decreases and I am soooooooo proud. Her step daughter wants to learn how to knit now, too. Hee! Yes.... taking over the world IS possible.
The one thing that sucked is that we will NOT be going back to that restaurant and I won't ever be recommending it again, no matter how good the breadsticks are. You know when a business owner/manager is so wrapped up in their own crap that they forget that the whole purpose of their business is to serve customers?
We had had one thing after another happen to us that evening and it finally got to the point where we were pretty irked and just wanted someone to acknowledge they were messing up left and right and to do SOMEthing to help salvage the evening. I finally had the owner standing in front of me and not only did he NOT want to help, he accused us of lieing and that any issue we had was our own problem.
Now.... I'm a veeery good restaurant customer. I've waiting tables, I know how it can get, I rarely ever bitch. But I also know how little effort it actually takes to make someone's experience a good one and I knoooooow that guy... that owner/manager type who's ego and/or personality disorder keeps him from being able to do it and I won't give money to him. I might slip and grab some breadsticks here and there but I won't go there for dinner again.
It's a shame, too, because the woman who owned that place before he did was aaaaaaawesome and made every experience there a great one. Her staff's service was always exceptional and she was a joy. It was my favorite restaurant for, I kid you not, practically a decade.
Anyway... I'm on the market for a new favorite restaurant and that's ok with me. A decade is a long time... time to switch it up!
It's also been a good lesson is letting go. I fumed for a while and kept going over and over it in my head... coming up with great stuff I should have said.... arguing my points and feeling him still standing over me as I was in bed, reading. I finally just stopped and put my book down. I thought about him and that whole situation and realized it was NOT ABOUT ME. It's so easy to take it all personally and to let those feelings of being slighted tap into all the old slights we've gone through and to let them build up. We've been disrespected! We want restitution! We demaaaaaaand!
No.
I can't change him any more than I can change all the assholes I've ever known who've done me wrong. I can only change me.
I don't have to like them, I don't have to agree with or condone their behavior but holding on to it does nothing more than give them power and take away from me.
And dude? I slept sooooooooooo good.
I'm still not 100% but garlic, sleep, Emergen-C and some good solid letting go are definitely getting me there.
Still Parenting...
10 years ago

3 comments:
You always come up with the best stuff to say when it's too late. It happens to everyone. Haha.
We'll find a new restaurant... somehow.
I am TOTALLY in agreement that you can't change them only yourself and holding on does nothing ... Which restaurant was this so I don't wander in accidentally
Oh and for the sicky stuff, also go with Zinc ... it does WONDERS!
Dude. DUDE. Say it isn't so! Damn that asshole manger guy for ruining the bestest breadsticks EVAR!
So cool that you were able to step back and have that realization though. Coming to terms with the fact that these things happen and it isn't personal and we can't fix or change other people's perception is so liberating! You rock.
Post a Comment