Sunday, August 17, 2008

Extra stuff

OK, so my Saturday night finish line went pretty much according to plan, with a couple of changes, one good one bad. The good one is that while I was watching Project Runway, I picked up my knitting again! Can you believe that? My knitting? The thing I actually started this blog to talk about? Shocking...

I've been stuck on the Mariah hoodie for a while because it's heavy and warm and it's been too hot to knit on it. I'm also at a boring part so there's little impulse to pick it up. I still have a baby present in the works... hmmmm... yes, should definitely get going on that as Karen's son, Finn, has come home. That's right... super-preemie babywhumpus is out of the hospital and doing GREAT! Jesus, that kid's gonna be covered in a LOT of awesome hand knits. I gotta get going so I can get my stuff in there, too...

That was the good but the bad is still lingering.

I was sitting at my desk, typing away at you good people when I saw an ant. OK... no biggie... squish and move on. Then I saw another one. This is not good.

So, I got my can of ant killer and went hunting. Lo and behold, there they were, coming in at one of the windows by my desk. Luckily, I got them before they could get a good line going (I think!) and all was well except......... the smell. The smell of that damn spray! It didn't go anywhere all night and is still lingering around my desk. Little bastards... Ah well, it's worth putting up with to not have ants everywhere. It can get bad this time of year in Southern California. It's really dry so they're out hunting for water on top of the usual food searchings. I'm on the second floor of my building and I can still get them pretty bad. Must.... stop... as.... soon.... as... possible.

All in all, the bad wasn't too bad and the good was great. I got to wake up this morning to a perrrrrrrrrfect kitchen and my body took this totally involuntary deep breath when I saw it.

The best thing about getting all that necessary stuff done is that all day today I can do extra stuff. You know, those projects that you always want to do "if I had the time"? I'm doing one of those today.

Back story is that when I was 21 I went on an overseas study program called Semester at Sea. You basically spend a semester of college going around the world on a ship taking a full course of classes and getting to explore 9 different countries. It. was. amazing.

Needless to say, I took a LOT of pictures and, as this was in the Dark Ages before digital photography, they've been sitting in a box in my closet ever since. The project? You guessed it... scanning them. It's been such a trip and maaaaaan is it ever taking me back. So far I've gotten through Japan and China and about halfway through Taiwan. What's been almost just as much fun as seeing the pictures is looking things up on Wikipedia to make sure I label things correctly. "Which gate to the Forbidden City is this?... ah, it's the Meridian Gate, of course"

Yes yes, I'll definitely be posting some on here but it's a biiiiiig project so I promise nothing. Hey, I still have to scan pictures from all those old knitting magazines like I promised, remember? And have you seen any of those? No more promises.

I will leave you with one of the two I've found so far that actually has me in it...

On the Great Wall. Trippy huh? I wish I could remember who that guy was.... he's cute

Oh, I also made cupcakes today, too and it's time to frost them...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be home all day, so whenever you want to swing by with those cupcakes is cool with me.

kittywhumpus said...

just mix Dr. Bronner's with water and spray it on the ants. It'll kill them, and it's all I use... I have an irrational dislike of ants.