One of the most fun aspects of having such a kick-ass artist is that you can hook her up with your friends and get to see even more of her beautiful work. One such hook up happened about 4 years ago when my sister innocently said, "I think I want to get a tattoo....".
I sprang. The appointments were made, the design decided upon and the first of two sittings was completed. For 4 years, we've been trying to get that second appointment in and this visit, it finally happened. We were so excited! This is her on her first day here as we went on a hunt for sushi before a meditation class.
And then the next day, we entered the enchanted land of Shangri-La.


Shannon's studio is just incredible. She's an artist in so many ways, including painting and interior design. It's a joy just to come to her space and hang out. I tried to capture just a little bit of it and hopefully you get the idea. Art and books everywhere.

This is from the inside, looking out. I didn't get a picture of that outside sitting area but it's freaken fantastic.
The sitting area just to the left of that picture. We started flipping through books to find just the right element to add to my sister's tattoo. It just needed one more thing...
Of course, I had to look at some potential stuff for myself, too. Someday, I'll be able to afford to get more work. Good = not cheap = worth it.
While they were finalizing the design, I went for a little stroll in the back yard.


Walking out of the shop and taking a left into the back, this is what you see. The entrance to a most beautiful garden. The second picture is from standing on the opposite side of the archway and looking back.

Right behind that Buddha is a walking meditation path. There are all kinds of little sculptures and mosaics scattered about.

And just behind that is an old ceramics wheel that was being used as a perch for one of two white cats who own the place: Bonito and Mooney. I think this one is Bonito. I was told he's the one that doesn't run from people and this one sure didn't.
There was more (close ups... The Barn...) but so many pictures already. Isn't it all so cool?!
When I got back inside, they had made the final decision about design and were getting ready to get started. My job was to provide the tattooee with whatever she needed from water to grapes to a hand to squeeze. Tattoos HURT, People, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Worth it? YES but painful just the same.
On the right is the element they decided to add. The whole piece is Art Nouveau and the swallows are an Art Nouveau hair comb that Shannon adapted.

Here it is with the outline of the birds added. You can see the bottom of the piece is two Irises but only part of the color had been done and it needed something "more".
On the left, the birds have been colored in but the rest of the flowers still need to be done, and on the right is the finished piece. Whoohoo! She just loves it and is already thinking about the next one, crazy girl. Of course, I'm just as crazy and the whole day just spurred me on to figure out what I want next.
The rest of my sister's visit was wonderful, mellow recovering and then she was off to San Francisco for a few days. Right before she left, I had the third interview for this job and she gave me the most wonderful pep talk. I am a very lucky woman to have her in my life.
Thank you, Shannon, for such a wonderful day! Hopefully see you again very soon....













1 comment:
GASP! Lovin' your shoulder piece :) Gorgeous!!!!
Jodi
Post a Comment