Sunday, September 13, 2009

Hummingbird Serenade

Have you ever heard a hummingbird sing?

I was sitting in my living room, minding my own business when I noticed this very loud, very annoying sound near one of my windows. It was like nails on a chalkboard annoying and I'd never heard it before so I walked over to look out and see what was going on.

I was thinking it was something out in the tree somewhere but when I got to the window I saw that the source of this mysterious noise was a very tiny, very energetic little hummingbird not two feet away from where I was standing. He was facing the window, head thrown back and his beak was sticking straight up, trumpeting his presence for the world to hear. Loudly!



I grabbed my phone and got this picture right before he finished up and took off.


I know it's pretty hard to see the little bugger so I cropped it and tried to help. (god, I need a new camera)

Why he decided to suddenly make his presence known so forcefully is beyond me but I'm thinking it might be worth it to see if I can get a hummingbird feeder out by that window.

Oh, and that adventure in pest control I mentioned a couple of entries back? I had ants in my plants. I was going to document their invasion but then I killed them all and they don't seem to be coming back. I kind of felt bad for killing them but then I didn't. My house. Sorry guys.

No comments: