Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sister's Christmas Scarf Pattern



I'm finally doing it! Finally going back and working out the pattern for the scarf I made my sister for Christmas. Whew! Feels good...

OK, so this pattern is basically 8 rows, repeated. I combined elements from a couple of stitch dictionaries so putting them together in a coherent way is the trick. Please let me know if I've actually succeeded!

When I was working it out, I created this wonky little "chart". It's not your usual chart but it helped me visualize it:

KKP [ 4 ] PKPP [ 12 ] PPKP [ 4 ] PKK

The numbers within the brackets are the cables. Four stitches for the side cables and a 12 stitch center cable.

- Slipping the first stitch of every row creates a really nice, even edge.

Cable Key:

C4F = Slip 2 stitches to cable needle, hold in front, knit 2 from main needle, knit the 2 from the cable needle

C4B = Slip 2 stitches to cable needle, hold in back, knit 2 from main needle, knit the 2 from the cable needle

C8F = Slip 4 stitches to cable needle, hold in front, knit 4 from main needle, knit the 4 from the cable needle

C8B = Slip 4 stitches to cable needle, hold in back, knit 4 from main needle, knit the 4 from the cable needle


Row 1 - Slip one, K1, P1, K4, P1, K1, P2, K12, P2, K1, P1, K4, P1 K2

Row 2 - Slip one, P1, K1, P4, K1, P1, K2, P12, K2, P1, K1, P4, K1, P2

Row 3 - Slip one, K1, P1, [C4B], P1, K1, P2, [C8F, K4], P2, K1, P1, [C4F], P1, K2

Row 4 - Slip one, P1, K1, P4, K1, P1, K2, P12, K2, P1, K1, P4, K1, P2

Row 5 - Slip one, K1, P1, K4, P1, K1, P2, K12, P2, K1, P1, K4, P1, K2

Row 6 - Slip one, P1, K1, P4, K1, P1, K2, P12, K2, P1, K1, P4, K1, P2

Row 7 - Slip one, K1, P1, [C4B], P1, K1, P2, [K4, C8B], P2, K1, P1, [C4F], P1, K2

Row 8 - Slip one, P1, K1, P4, K1, P1, K2, P12, K2, P1, K1, P4, K1, P2

I know it looks complicated, but once you get going, you'll see the pattern while you're doing it and after a while, you'll barely need to check the pattern at all. I ended up just writing down which row I was on and then whether I did a center cable front or back, knowing that I did a side cable on those same rows. It looked like this:

1
2
3 cf
4
5
6
7 cb
8
9
10
11 cf
12
13
14
15 cb
16
etc

Don't know if that'll work for you but it kept me straight. Please let me know if this makes sense! Anything I can clarify?



No comments: