Monday, December 15, 2008

Donating

I know I don't often talk about my deep and abiding love for Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, aka The Yarn Harlot, but believe me, it is a love very deep and very very abiding. Her blog is so funny, so intelligent, so insightful and so, just, good. It's like a balm on my dorky soul.

A couple of years ago, she started... well... I guess A Movement is the best thing to call it. A movement to help a few people who weren't as fortunate as we are. (click on that last sentence to see her first blog post about it) Her brother-in-law is a doctor with Doctors Without Borders and talking with him inspired her to ask her readers if they could donate a little bit. "Isn't that sweet?" you think...

Well, they sure as hell donated. They gave and gave and gave a LOT. They raised over 100,000 dollars. Yup, you read that right. One Hundred Thousand. And the best thing? That was in 2005 and they've since gone WAY beyond that. As of her last count, they're just over $560,000. So yeah... A Movement is definitely accurate.

Now, a couple of years ago, she wrote this lovely post about continuing to help. And just last week, this one happened. I'm not proud to say that, even reading all of her many posts about it, I've never donated. It's not because I didn't want to or don't think it's one of the best causes out there, but I just never thought I could afford it. I always wanted to, but put it off until I wasn't freaking about money and had more extra.

That last post seems to have done it for me. I finally just HAD to. Stephanie has lost a lot this last year and this Holiday season is hard... Maybe it's because I relate or maybe it's because I'm the most poor I've been in a very long time and I'm still ok, but I just had to. She speaks to that understanding that helping others really does make us feel better. She's right. It feels really good to give just my few dollars, knowing that it'll directly help someone else get well. I highly recommend.


Click on the button above to go to her Knitters Without Borders FAQ page and read all about it for yourself. You may not be able to give right now or may not be able to give much but you should see how much us crazy knitters can do when we do it together.

"One stitch is small. One stitch is almost nothing. One stitch is hardly worth doing... unless you put it with hundreds, and then thousands and then tens of thousands of others." - The Yarn Harlot

I'm proud to say I'm one of them.

No comments: