Well, if there's anyone still out there, I'm back! I know I've broken your trust by abandoning you and I've been a horrible friend but I'll try to make it up to you. You see, I've been kind of freaking out. I turn 40 in a couple of weeks, (if you've been reading a while, you know how weird I get around my birthday,) my life is nothing like I thought it would be at this milestone and instead of forcing you to read weeks of blog entries like that last one, I figured I'd save you and just deal in private. In a better space today and figured I'd put a little bit of energy back into this blog I love.
First thing I'm going to do to win you back? A pattern!


Whoohoo!
Back when I was re-making the Tam for Eva, (which turned out great, btw. Added another repeat of the cable pattern and it was perfect. pic below.) I started putting together the idea for these fingerless gloves. Same yarn, same cable pattern. Easy!
Cable Pattern, done in 8 rows:
Rows 1-4 - K12
Row 5 - Slip 6 sts to cable needle, hold in back, K6, K6 from cable needle
Rows 6-8 - K12
Using size 8 DPNs, cast on 36.
6 Rows of K1, P1 ribbing
Next row, K9, P1, K12, P1, K9 (The K9 are the open knitted space, 1P stitch in between it and the cable and the K12 is the cable)
Following that pattern around, repeat the 8 row cable pattern 4 times (32 rows)
Repeat rows 1-4 and on row 5 you make the thumb hole: K3, place next 4 sts on a stitch holder, K2, P1, Row 5 of cable pattern, P1, K9
Next round, when you get to the stitches on the holder, cast on 4 sts and continue around
Rows 7-8 of cable pattern
Rows 1-5 of cable pattern
4 Rows of K1, P1 ribbing
Cast off
For the thumb, place the 4sts from the holder on one needle, pick up one stitch in between them and the cast on sts. Pick up along cast on sts, pick up one more for a total of 10sts. Transfer evenly onto 3 needles.
Knit 4 rows
4 rows of K1, P1 rib
Cast off.
The second glove is done the same except that the thumb hole is made on the other side of the cable pattern so that row is:
K9, P1, Row 5 of cable pattern, P1, K2, Place next 4 sts on stitch holder, K3
Does this pattern make any sense at all? Let me know if it needs any clarifying.
Cable Pattern, done in 8 rows:
Rows 1-4 - K12
Row 5 - Slip 6 sts to cable needle, hold in back, K6, K6 from cable needle
Rows 6-8 - K12
Using size 8 DPNs, cast on 36.
6 Rows of K1, P1 ribbing
Next row, K9, P1, K12, P1, K9 (The K9 are the open knitted space, 1P stitch in between it and the cable and the K12 is the cable)
Following that pattern around, repeat the 8 row cable pattern 4 times (32 rows)
Repeat rows 1-4 and on row 5 you make the thumb hole: K3, place next 4 sts on a stitch holder, K2, P1, Row 5 of cable pattern, P1, K9
Next round, when you get to the stitches on the holder, cast on 4 sts and continue around
Rows 7-8 of cable pattern
Rows 1-5 of cable pattern
4 Rows of K1, P1 ribbing
Cast off
For the thumb, place the 4sts from the holder on one needle, pick up one stitch in between them and the cast on sts. Pick up along cast on sts, pick up one more for a total of 10sts. Transfer evenly onto 3 needles.
Knit 4 rows
4 rows of K1, P1 rib
Cast off.
The second glove is done the same except that the thumb hole is made on the other side of the cable pattern so that row is:
K9, P1, Row 5 of cable pattern, P1, K2, Place next 4 sts on stitch holder, K3
Does this pattern make any sense at all? Let me know if it needs any clarifying.
Eva in her hat and the set at the post office before I sent them off.
So that's where I'm at. Working on my sister's scarf now and need to get back onto Mom's hat but keep procrastinating because I don't like the yarn. Oh, and next week? Karen is going to be here! The birthday weekend will be epic...



No comments:
Post a Comment