Now, if I had truly understood what this journey was going to entail, I would have begun the documentation from the moment I opened the box that it all came in and was struck by the sheer volume of yarn it contained. The shock that prompted me to relegate that poor box to the wasteland that is behind the sofa.

See, I had fallen in LOVE with the coat I saw online. That little picture! So cute! See? Isn't it? *lovelovelove* *wantwantwant*
Yes, it would be a big project but how hard could it be, really? I'm a good knitter and I learn fast and... and then the reality of taking a big box of yarn and turning it INTO said coat hit me in the face... and behind the sofa it went.
Now, I said that that conversation with my therapist is what prompted the tackling of this project but I also have to credit my boyfriend for his hand in it. In a flurry of cleaning/organizing, he got my stash, (which is a lot of yarn, not just the boxofcoat,) out from behind the sofa and into the supercool big wooden box that fits very nicely next to the sofa and makes all that yarn look cool. Not only was all my lonely yarn back out in the land of the living, but it was cool... attractive... just begging to be touched. And on top of it? He had taken the 34 rolls OUT of the boxofdenial and made it accessible to me. Put it right there unable to be ignored.
He may not know how much that helped, (although he does now as he is one of my two readers,) but I have to thank him. I would have gone with some little scarf or something if it hadn't been there.
SO! The Big Orange Monster (hereafter to be referred to as BOM) was born and the Universe continued to conspire with my Fates, to make its construction possible. Yet another thing happened... I got fired.
Well, it wasn't as cut and dried as that. I had started the coat and was delighting in the narrow strip of Seed Stitch that had begun to grow. I'd work on it in the evenings, when I had time, and had begun to covertly bring it to work with me, to work on when everything else was done. (No, I wasn't working as a fetish model or Dominatrix. I'd dipped my toe in both of those waters and discovered that I enjoyed them much more when I wasn't having to rely on them for my rent.) No, I had the quintessential Day Job of all "creative types"... the Office Manager.
Actually, I'm speaking of it in the past tense but I still kind of have it. Kind of... it's not the same but... well, it's what's enabled me to submit to my addiction and fully commit to the BOM. You see, the office I work in was shut down by the larger corporation. They up and decided to do it, told everyone and let the majority of the staff go. It was at this point the clients they served got wind of the whole thing and made a STINK. So, they decided to stay open for just a liiiiiiittle while longer, to wrap up those loose ends.
That was 3 months ago.
They started taking in new work this month... *eye roll*
So who knows what's going to happen! All I know is that I have nothing to do but the occasional expense report and to collect my check so I've set up Knitting Central and am getting paid to knit for myself. Don't worry... that's not some big secret that's going to get me fired, (I already have been, it's just a matter of when the last day is.) Everyone knows I'm keeping myself occupied and they even inquire as to how it's going. Which reminds me, have to send Nancy some pictures... If there's anything that actually does need to get done, I do it very well. I'm just doing something else instead of staring into space and drooling the rest of the time. Oh, and now starting a blog... heh.
God, how long is this post! I'll leave you now. I just had to rip out the entire hem I had done (almost 2 balls of yarn) because I had picked up too many stitches and it was all ripply. A lot of people were liking the ripples but I just couldn't take 'em. To each their own and I'm sure I'll love to make them on something else, but not this. WANT MY COAT FROM THE LITTLE PICTURE!


1 comment:
Yay!!! I adore the big orange monster! You did such a rockin' job on it! :D
Post a Comment